Cyber Tip of the Day - Chargers
To help promote Cybersecurity Awareness, we would like to start your week with a tip to stay safe online. Today's subject: Chargers.
Hackers have found ways to tamper with chargers and use them to load malware into your devices to target cyber attacks. Next time you connect your phone to a public charger, be cautious, as it could steal information from your phone and relay it wirelessly to a hacker who doesn’t even have to be nearby.
Here are some cybersecurity tips to protect yourself:
- Avoid using those readily available, free chargers or any other such accessories available at public places.
- If you must use a public charger, then switch off your smartphone before connecting it to the charging station.
- Always password protect your devices. Use strong passwords. Long passphrases make excellent passwords.
- Keep your smartphone software up-to-date and use a good antivirus solution.
- When using public chargers protect your device from being stolen or being exchanged with an identical twin.
- Never let any of your devices out of your sight.
- To improve cybersecurity and help protect yourself, avoid using public chargers altogether if possible. Carry your own personal charger or a portable power bank instead.
Be Smart. Be Aware. Be Secure. ERMProtect.
Get a curated briefing of the week's biggest cyber news every Friday.
Turn your employees into a human firewall with our innovative Security Awareness Training.
Our e-learning modules take the boring out of security training.
Intelligence and Insights