Cyber Tip of the Day - Free WiFi
In honor of Cybersecurity Month, we would like to start your week with tips to stay safe online. Today's subject: Free WiFi.
Public Wi-Fi is free and incredibly convenient. However, the convenience of free Wi-Fi comes with several security risks and cyber threats.
Here are some cybersecurity tips to protect yourself:
- When using public Wi-Fi, avoid websites that contain your sensitive information such as online banking sites, work-related accounts, insurance sites, online shopping sites, and so on.
- Use cybersecurity awareness and make sure that the sites you visit have “https” (not "http") at the beginning of the URL.
- Before you connect to a public Wi-Fi network, confirm if the network is legitimate with an employee (if it’s a store) or at the information desk (if it’s a public place.) Be wary of networks like “Free Wi-Fi” or “Free Internet” or a name that’s deliberately similar to the coffee shop, hotel, or other place offering free Wi-Fi, as these can often pose a large cyber threat.
- Disable the “Automatically connect to Wi-Fi hot spot” option on your devices.
- Use Virtual Private Network (VPN) software as it will improve your cybersecurity by creating an encrypted channel for your information to flow through.
- Turn Wi-Fi off on your device when you are not working online.
- If possible, avoid using free public Wi-Fi altogether. Instead, use your smartphone as a hot spot or use a data card.
Be Smart. Be Aware. Be Secure. ERMProtect.
Get a curated briefing of the week's biggest cyber news every Friday.
Turn your employees into a human firewall with our innovative Security Awareness Training.
Our e-learning modules take the boring out of security training.
Intelligence and Insights
What are the 12 Requirements of PCI DSS Compliance?
PCI Compliance requirements are created by the PCI Standards Council in order to secure and protect the entirety of the payment card ecosystem …
7 Tips for Hiring PCI Compliance Services for Your Business
Read here for 7 practical tips for hiring PCI compliance services for your business …
Why Do I Need a PCI Compliance Test?
PCI Compliance tests are a critical step in protecting against cyber threats. We outline the importance of PCI Compliance tests …