Cyber Tip of the Day - Ransomware
To help promote Cybersecurity Awareness, we would like to start your week with a tip to stay safe online. Today’s subject: Ransomware.
Ransomware is a cyber attack which targets your most critical data, encrypts it, and then flashes a message on your screen stating that you need to pay a “ransom” if you want your data back.
Here are some tips to protect yourself:
- Your first line of cybersecurity is to perform regular backups of your data. That way you can get back your data, at least from the last time you backed it up.
- Keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software up-to-date and set them up to run regular scans on your machines.
- Before installing a new app on your phone, research it online to make sure it gets good reviews and is safe.
- Use the “Show File Extension” feature. That will show you the kind of file you are trying to open. Be careful with file types like .exe, .bat, .dll, or others that you can’t recognize.
- Don’t fall for ads on websites that look like system or diagnostic messages warning you that something is wrong with your computer.
- Be wary of links in emails, messages, and online posts. If it looks suspicious, it’s best to delete it, even if you know the source.
Be Smart. Be Aware. Be Secure. ERMProtect.
Get a curated briefing of the week's biggest cyber news every Friday.
Turn your employees into a human firewall with our innovative Security Awareness Training.
Our e-learning modules take the boring out of security training.
Intelligence and Insights